What Is A Non-Traditional Career?

When you hear "Non-traditional" career, it generally applies to careers your gender (boy or girl) does not "traditionally" go into. For girls these broad areas involve technology, trades such as construction and welding, and public services such as police and fire. For boys the areas involve early childhood education such as elementary school teachers, and healthcare careers in the field of nursing. There are many advantages to non-traditional careers, such as the ability to stand out in a field of applicants, and the fact that non-trad careers often pay exceptionally well!

Follow our blog for more info and to learn more about non-trad career events!




Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Photojournal: Wood Magic in Sherwood

Walk into the Sherwood High School construction classroom and you might be surprised at the wide variety of projects students are working on. Their teacher, Jon Dickover, has his students learn the basics of construction safety, complete some required projects, then encourages them to get creative. This results in everything from artistic bowls to skateboards to lawn chairs.

Here's what some Sherwood High School construction students said about the class:

"We get to create our own projects. It's awesome."

"I'm working on a desk right now. It's a little more complicated but I really like challenging myself."

"I love the independence. I can express myself in this class."

"For my job I'd like to work with my hands. In my freetime I'll just grab a piece of wood and start carving."

"It's something different everyday."

And here are a few photos of the hardworking woodworkers in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment